Dental bridges provide an alternative to implants in Calgary
Dental implants are an important advance in modern dentistry. A dental implant replaces the root of a missing tooth, and topped with a crown, serves as a lifetime restoration. A single tooth may be replaced with a dental implant. Some patients are not good candidates for dental implants, or they simply don’t want an implant. Dental bridges from Living Wellness Dental in Calgary are a sound alternative for tooth replacement.
The basics of dental bridges
A dental bridge consists of two crowns, with an artificial tooth (or up to three) between the crowns. The dentist begins by reducing and shaping teeth on either side of the space. Impressions are taken, and a bridge is designed to match your existing dentition. Temporary crowns are placed on the prepared teeth. The dentist sends impressions, information on shading, and precise measurements to a professional dental lab, where the bridge is fabricated.
You return to the dentist’s office in about two weeks to have the bridge placed. The dentist checks the fit and cements the bridge securely onto the prepped anchor teeth. You get a demonstration of how to floss around the bridge to keep natural teeth and gums healthy.
When a dental bridge makes good sense
- To restore the appearance of your smile.
- To reinstate chewing function, and ability to speak clearly.
- For the patient who does not have sufficient jawbone to support dental implants.
- For those with certain health issues including uncontrolled blood sugar, bone cancer, blood diseases, thyroid problems, or while undergoing radiation
- therapy or chemotherapy. Dental implants may not be an option in those situations.
- When lower up-front cost is an important factor.
To learn more about dental bridges, schedule a consultation in Calgary at Living Wellness Dental. The number is (855) 316-7161.Back to Crowns and Bridges Page